logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Womack" <mwom...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [POLL] Source code formatting conventions
Date Sun, 05 Sep 2004 03:29:56 GMT
Not everyone is going to use Eclipse, whatever version.  But we have
standardized on using Ant for official builds, etc.  I think we should stick
with Jalopy via Ant for "official" formatting, but document the relevant
formatting rules so that whatever tool you use, you adhere to the most
important aspects during development (with whatever tool).  Everyone should
agree to use this format OR to run the Jalopy tool on the modified files
before checkin.  I do agree that it makes it very tough to make out relevant
changes when also dealing with the format differences.

Also, if there is another tool we could use via Ant, instead of Jalopy, we
could decide to use it in the future, etc.

-Mark "yeah, I'm still here, but you'd never guess it" Womack

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ceki Gülcü" <ceki@qos.ch>
To: <log4j-dev@logging.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, September 03, 2004 5:32 AM
Subject: [POLL] Source code formatting conventions

Hello all,

We used to rely on jalopy as the indentation tool for log4j. For quite
a long time, the japoly plugin for eclipse did not run with version
3.0 of eclipse. This was a show stopper for many developers, including
myself. It appears that the japoly plugin now supports eclipse
3.0. However, Eclipse 3.0 has built-in support for advanced code
formatting and indentation.

With jalopy we are not constrained to use Eclipse in order to format
source code. Japoly has support for an Ant task which can format whole
directories, now just a single file. Japoly also supports other IDEs
such as JBuilder, JDeveloper, jEdit or NetBeans. But do we need to
format whole directories or do we need support for JBuilder? I tend to
think that the answer is no.

Build-in Eclipse formatting support:

Advantages:
   built-in support

Disadvantages:
   dependent on Eclipse 3.0

Jalopy:
Advantages:
   we already use it
Disadvantages:
   requires the installation of Jalopy
   real development *seems* to have shifted to a propriety alternative

How does Eclipse formatting compare with Japoly? Should we consider
switching to Eclipse 3.0 formatting and abandon Jalopy?

--
Ceki Gülcü