logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: Levels in UGLI
Date Thu, 05 Aug 2004 18:11:43 GMT
At 07:51 PM 8/5/2004, you wrote:

>Hi,
>Which levels should be defined in org.apache.ugli.Logger?

>  I see debug,
>info, warn, error, but no off, all, fatal, or trace.

off and all are not printing methods. No one ever writes nor would want to
write:

   logger.off("some msg"); (a never printing message)

or

   logger.all("some msg"); (an always printing message)

fatal is not that different from error. similarly, trace is not really
different from debug. A much finer level of control can be achieved by
using domains. This will become clear once domains are implemented.

>I'm fine with
>that, but I'm just curious as to the reasoning that went into choosing
>the UGLI levels.

I hope this answers your question.

--
Ceki Gülcü