logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Smith <Paul.Sm...@lawlex.com.au>
Subject RE: More chainsaw comments
Date Fri, 21 May 2004 22:31:58 GMT

> I love this. However, there is one usability issue. Assume you select
> the
> first logger, by the time you want to select the second logger, the
> events
> disappear leaving you with only the events of the first logger. Do you
> see
> what I mean?

Remember that the filters are applied to an "unfiltered" list, so if you
remove the filter, all the hidden events come back.  So you can modify the
filter expression at any time and you won't 'lose' any events, unless they
get dumped as part of the cyclic buffer.

> Come to think of it, the ability to build up the expression is so
> powerful
> that the Logger panel now looks like a distraction to me.

The logger three panel is not a powerful as the expression filtering, but
it's great for quick 'n dirty logger pruning from the view.  Both the Logger
panel and the expression filter work together, so you can filter by a logger
hierachy and then add a detail refinement in the expression.

Your point about not being able to focus on X distinct logger is
interesting.  I guess we could have 2 modes for the tree, and allow the user
to mark individual loggers that one is interested.  I will have more of a
think about this one.

Thanks Ceki.

cheers,

Paul Smith