logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Endre Stølsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>
Subject Re: DOMConfigurator.props
Date Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:18:18 GMT
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Ceki Gülcü wrote:

| Endre,
|
| Here are a few hints that you might find useful.

Thanks ..

But will you -remove- DOMConfigurator? I mean, it is -just- a simple
setter, and a very natural one that is. If you're about to deprecate it,
why not just add it, and deprecate it in the same go - it is really "a
missing feature".

The point is that the DOMConfigurator already do perform -general-
variable substitution, but since the "props" reference in DOMConfigurator
is highly null (there are only -one- reference to it ever, that is when
it's passed to the substituter!), all substitutions are done using only
System.getProperty().

Btw: the javadocs there says that it first tries system props, then the
supplied props - this is not true reading the code.

The code is even cooler than I knew; there is recursive substitution!

The Joran stuff: shouldn't this also have this -amazing- feature that
property-substituion really is from start of? It is really magic - it
solved all my problems! I earlier had a script that reg-exped through the
log4j.xml file for some stupid delimiter, before starting tomcat. Now,
when I found this (undocumented?) feature, I only use the -D options to
the java-invoker!

Endre.