logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: DateFormatFileAppender
Date Thu, 15 Apr 2004 12:54:40 GMT

Hi,
1. This already exists (DailyRollingFileAppender in log4j 1.2 and various options in log4j
1.3),
2. This is the wrong list: log4j-user is the place.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics

-----Original Message-----
From: James Stauffer [mailto:jstauffe@spscommerce.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 11:25 AM
To: 'log4j-dev@logging.apache.org'
Subject: DateFormatFileAppender

I posted a message to the user list titled "Logs separated by year/mon/day."  It doesn't
look like any current appenders support what I am trying to do so I wrote a new appender (attached).
It works but probably needs to be cleaned up (formatting, etc) to fit in log4j.  (The only
change I made after my last run with it was to change the package.)  I also don't know if
I did things the "preferred" way.  It is a simple class.  It just overrides setFile(String,
boolean, bufferedIO, bufferSize) to format the given fileName and produce another fileName
(producing directories as necessary).  Is this something that you would be interested in
having in log4j?  If yes, I can clean it up more and follow any advice you have.  I tried
bugzilla but it appears to be down right now.  Questions and comments are welcome.

James Stauffer