logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: patterns and levels
Date Mon, 26 Apr 2004 07:57:02 GMT
At 08:55 PM 4/20/2004, Ognjen Kavazovic wrote:
>Hi Ceki,
>
>thanks for your response. My comments:
>
>1. callerFQCN: what you said makes sense. My work around was due to the fact
>that the wrapper class wasn't mine, but an Avalon Project's Log4JLogger. So
>the bug is really an Avalon bug...I'll submit it to them. thanks!

Yes, submitting a bug report to Avalon is the best thing to do.

>2. Level/PatternConverter: I don't really agree with coupling pattern
>converters and logging levels. These two things are orthogonal, and should
>remain so even with custom PatternConverters. Going back to my example, I
>might want the full details at DEBUG Level. Your proposal would suggest that
>I define a %lineDebug conversion word that displays the line number only
>when in DEBUG mode. But then I might decide that I want full detail at INFO
>Level as well just for a little while until I figure out what's going on.
>Would I need to define yet another conversion word called %lineINFO in order
>to do this? I shouldn't have to define a pattern converter for each
>(conversion word x logging level) combination...
>
>So with the "orthogonal" approach, a properties file might look like this:
>
>log4j.appender.stdoutAppender.layout.ConversionPattern=[%c] - %p [%t]: %m%n
>log4j.appender.stdoutAppender.layout.ConversionPattern.DEBUG=[%c] - (%F:%L)
>%p [%t]: %m%n

You could pass a parameter to the extended localisation parameter. You
can for example write:

log4j.appender.stdoutAppender.layout.ConversionPattern=[%c] - \
(%Fx{DEBUG}:%Lx{DEBUG}) %p [%t]: %m%n

I hope you find the above convincing.

By the way, the original problem of extracting localisation
information for DEBUG, but not INFO, for performance reasons, does
not seem to be worth the effort. Usually, one has 10 times more DEBUG
statements than INFO and higher.

--
Ceki Gülcü