logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Chandra Mohan A R" <chandramo...@renaissance-it.com>
Subject RE: JMSAppender
Date Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:54:27 GMT
Dear Jimmy,

In a scenario like this a ServerLogger is implemented which does the job very similar to the
JMS Logger.
Follow the same steps what u generally do if you need to update a DB with the log info and
in the MDB check for the priority of the message being logged (if required) and call the ServerLogger
which will have a JMSAppender doing the job(updating DB) for you.
Infact in few cases where in, FATAL messages are generated define a JMSAppender to send mails
to the concerned Sys. Admin./ App/ Admin.

I hope this helps.

regards,
CM

-----Original Message-----
From: Jimmy.Shah@wellsfargo.com [mailto:Jimmy.Shah@wellsfargo.com]
Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2004 6:17 AM
To: log4j-dev@logging.apache.org
Subject: RE: JMSAppender

Thanks CM, got the JMSAppender working. However there are a few queries
still in my mind

1. How can I insert values in the database which is equivalent to this SQL

        INSERT INTO LOG_TEST (EXECUTION_DATE, LOGGER, PRIORITY, MESSAGE)
VALUES ('%d', '%c', '%p', '%m')

The above query maps to the following configuration that I have done in my
log4j.xml file for JDBCAppender

<appender name="JDBC" class="org.apache.log4j.jdbc.JDBCAppender">
 <param name="driver" value="oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver" />
 <param name="URL" value="jdbc:oracle:thin:@10.45.194.47:1521:wells" />
 <param name="user" value="view2" />
 <param name="password" value="view2" />
  <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d{MM:dd:yyyy HH:mm:ss} - %m" />
 </layout>
 <param name="sql" value="INSERT INTO LOG_TEST (EXECUTION_DATE, LOGGER,
PRIORITY, MESSAGE) VALUES ('%d', '%c', '%p', '%m')" />
  </appender>

Now if I want to do something similar using JMSAppender how do I do it.
Since I have written an MDB, I will receive just a Message object in my
onMessage method. So at most I can log only the message (%m). But what if I
want to log different values in the database just the way I am doing in case
of JDBCAppender above
How will I go about implementing that.

I am attaching my MDB with this mail for JMSAppender for your reference.
Essentially what I want to do is insert

1. The execution date
2. Logger type
3. Priority
4. The log message

something like INSERT INTO LOG_TEST (EXECUTION_DATE, LOGGER, PRIORITY,
MESSAGE) VALUES ('%d', '%c', '%p', '%m')

Thanks and Regards,

Jimmy