logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Christian.H...@equifax.com
Subject RE: MDC copies
Date Thu, 29 Jan 2004 16:12:32 GMT
Now that I am looking at this, deep cloning is hard to do generically.

Looping through a collection, you can't just try to call clone() on each
element because clone() is protected in Object and Cloneable is only a
marker interface. So, you have to (1) know the type of the object and
cast it before cloning, (2) use reflection to call clone or (3) clone
via serialization.

(3) is too slow.
(2) is probably the best generic solution for a library like log4j, but
would benefit from caching of the reflection information as it is looked
up (this may be non-trivial if classes reload...but I understand
BeanUtils (from jakarta commons) may do this)
(1) is probably the best all around, but would best be done using a
pluggable container like I described earlier, so log4j doesn't have to
deal with it...in this case, the implementer can either know which
things to clone or make sure cloneable items implement an additional
mypackage.Cloneable interface with a public clone method in it.

Sure is a bummer when these things spin out of control like this. I am
going to implement this locally using your latest suggestion and simple,
non-cached reflection for now. I need code in place within the hour, so
this will stop gap.

Please comment.

-C