logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: log4j jmx extension: we would like to participate
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:56:38 GMT

Bill Rossi has supplied a patch to make the current implemenation
compatible with the spec.

See http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=log4j-dev&m=105412197117040&w=2

At 02:53 PM 1/15/2004 +0100, Peter Widmer wrote:
>Hi
>
>First of all, thank you for providing and maintaining log4j! We are using
>log4j extensively and successfully.
>
>Recently, the requirement for log4j jmx support arose within our projects.
>After having inspected the existing sources, we learned from the
>associated javadoc, that the sources are not of production quality.
>Unfortunately, we could not find a more precise explanation (in the log4j
>mailing lists), why the aspired quality could not be reached.
>
>We intend to increase the quality of the log4j jmx extension. Is there any
>activity in this direction? Is the log4j community interested in our work,
>we would like to provide our results to give something back to the community?
>
>As a starting point, we are interested in the deficiencies of the current
>implementation. Is there any information available?

The current implementation is incomplete and somewhat buggy. I suspect
that the bugs are related to the spec incompatibility fixed by Bill
Rossi (see above).

The existing code contains some really nice tricks making it powerful
enough to deal with all types of appenders. (One AppenderMBean to
handle all appenders.)

>'Peter

Ceki Gülcü