logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Logging services top level project
Date Mon, 15 Dec 2003 00:09:52 GMT

robert burrell donkin wrote:

> On 12 Dec 2003, at 10:04, Ceki Gülcü wrote:
> FWIW the Log interface seems about right. i'd probably now go for a
> truly minimal API (two public classes) with private classes providing a
> truly base implementation (log error and fatal to standard error). a
> single system property or a properties file in the classpath would allow
> a user to provide an implementation of the actual bridge selection
> logic. a second jar (containing a properties file specifying the default
> implementation) would contain all implementations including a bridge
> selection logic unit that would function correctly in web application
> environments (by providing isolation per-context-classloader).
> alternative bridge selection logic units would be provided for other
> environments.

Robert:

I know that this is sort of off-topic but on the otherhand its dead on
topic (depending on the point of view) ... over the last couple of
months a bit of collaboration between the new Directory project and the
Avalon team has generated something very close to what your are
describing above - in particular a bootstrapping system, property
driven, small and tight.  We are currently using this to bootstrap
remote repository management, component management systems, or any
facility you want - and on on my roadmap is pushing out logging into
another bootable item.

The stuff we have been doing is documented here:
http://avalon.apache.org/repository

Cheers, Steve.