logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Smith <paul.sm...@lawlex.com.au>
Subject [Chainsaw]: Proposed new LogPanel preference saving structure
Date Tue, 16 Dec 2003 01:36:59 GMT
Currently we have the SettingsManager and associated event objects which
are used to save/load Application wide events.  However currently all
the LogPanel settings are saved via standard Serialization.  This tends
to be easy to do, but brittle as we add more information to the savable
entity.

I propose to extend the SettingsManager stuff so that each entity can
still register for saving and loading, but is done so within a 'domain'
or namespace.  We would have a domain for the Application, and each
LogPanel would register to be a SettingsListener, but would register
under it's own name space.

At load/save time, each SettingsListener would be given the chance to
read/write from/to the relevant event, but each logical namespace would
be treated separately and have the properties read from a different file
and encapsulate in it's own event object.  The name of the properties
file would just be the namespace + '.properties'.

Unless anyone has any thoughts or comments I will use this approach to
implement simple property based saving for the LogPanel and associated
classes (the ignore list for the logger tree, colour rules etc)

cheers,

Paul Smith