logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Smith <paul.sm...@lawlex.com.au>
Subject RE: commons-logging (was [PROPOSAL] Logging services top level project)
Date Fri, 12 Dec 2003 00:59:34 GMT
On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 11:45, Sullivan, Sean C - MWT wrote:
> Link 1) http://radio.weblogs.com/0122027/2003/08/15.html

What is interesting about this first link is the original veto to have a
runtime dependency on log4j.  As a component developer I can sympathise
with the concept of trying to minimise external dependancies, but for
the life of me I can't work out the decision to then create
commons-logging.  The component still depends on something, whether it
be log4j or commons-logging.  If you want to use JDK1.4 logging, well
then you have a runtime dependancy on JDK1.4...

What I think they probably really wanted is a pre-processor to remove
logging statements and be able to ship a dependancy free component (but
without any logging) and one with a dependancy on log4j.

It may have also stemmed from previous versions of log4j being a little
weighty file size wise, but this has since been addressed with the
"micro" bundle of log4j.

Be _really_ nice if Tomcat dropped commons-logging in favour of just
using log4j, I believe it would remove a few common headaches.

Paul Smith