logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Smith <paul.sm...@lawlex.com.au>
Subject Re: Status of LogFile Appender changes
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2003 05:15:25 GMT
On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 16:00, Jon Wilmoth wrote:
> I took a look at the Log4j plan
> (http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/plan.html) and noticed that
> "Strategy based rollovers" has not started.  Is this status up-to-date?
> I had proposed some changes to DailyRollingFileAppender to allow for
> purging of old files similar to org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender's
> maxBackupIndex property/behavior.  I was told at the time (~9 months
> ago) the changes wouldn't be accepted as the goal was to do a major
> refactoring of FileAppender, RollingFileAppender and
> DailyRollingFileAppender.  Is this still on the to-do list?  Is it
> slated for a future release?

Unfortunately that plan html page is out of date.  Ceki has already done
major work in this area for the log4j 1.3 release which has not quite
reached the Alpha phase at this point.  You can see the fruits of his
efforts in the org.apache.log4j.rolling package available through the
cvs module.

There is already a good chunk of test cases there for this area, so I
believe it is stable, pending the update of all the documentation
required for the release.

You will definately see this in the 1.3 release.

cheers,

Paul Smith