logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Matt Munz" <mm...@apelon.com>
Subject RE: Rationale for TRACE-level/priority.
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 15:22:58 GMT

> So why aren't the levels called simply 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5, then? You could

  I prefer Up, Down, Charm, Strange, Truth, and Beauty, personally.[1]

> I'm forking off the "trace4log4j" project RSN - totally tracking the log4j
> package, only adding trace! Bet I'll get the entire user base right away!

  Well, I believe that the JBoss group actually did extend log4j to add TRACE, and have distributed
their server with the extensions included.  They certainly don't "have" the entire log4j user
base, but there are a few poeple out there using their product ;)

  I read the following in the log4j API javadocs.[2]

  "Level.  Defines the minimum set of levels recognized by the system, that is OFF, FATAL,
ERROR, WARN, INFODEBUG and ALL.  The Level class may be subclassed to define a larger level
set."

  If this statement is incorrect, I'd love to know about it.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark
[2] http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/api/org/apache/log4j/Level.html

  - Matt