logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: Donations link
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2003 00:13:52 GMT

This whole donations crap is really not worth the trouble. I actually
regret I brought it up especially after the discussion held on the
fundraising@ list.

It is not like log4j every user would donate something. I expect less
than one in every 10'000 log4j users per year to make a
donation. Assuming donations of 20 USD, it amounts to less than 2'000
US dollars per year of which 30% go to the ASF.

Let see. With the remaining 1'400 dollars, I intend buy out Microsoft
in an offensive bid, help the world's poor and give the rest to Mark
so he can buy IBM and save the rest of the world.

BTW, the 1 in 10'000 is probably quite an accurate estimate.

More comments below.

At 09:21 AM 7/24/2003 +1000, Oliver Burn wrote:
>This is a tough issue, with no obvious answer. I had thought about doing
>something similar for the Checkstyle project I work on.
>
>As I see it, the major problem if you collect donations, is to determine
>how the money should be divided up among the people who commit to
>Log4J. I am assuming that you are not planning to keep all the money for
>yourself, as this would be unfair to people like Mark, who also
>contribute a lot of time/effort.
>
>So, assuming you are planning to divide up the money, how would you plan
>to do this? This has the potential to open up a Pandora's box of
>issues. Much in the same way there are issues in paying bonuses to
>programmers in the work environment. It also has the potential to kill
>off people being willing to contribute to Log4J. Look at the issues that
>surround JBoss.

I wouldn't write off JBoss just yet. The rumors of its demise are
vastly exaggerated imho.

Any long term effort for serious development requires monetary
resources. One way to secure those funds is to have a big corporation
pay the salary of the developers. Another possibility is to have the
developers do for-pay consulting work, a la JBoss.

I don't know fully understand the MySql model.