logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Lucas Bruand <lbru...@wanadoo.fr>
Subject Re: Announcement: Just4log, a performance-oriented postprocessor for Log4j
Date Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:11:41 GMT
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 15:52:33 +0200
Ceki Gülcü <ceki@qos.ch> wrote:

> At 07:48 PM 7/20/2003 +0200, Lucas Bruand wrote:
> >At the very least, it is a heavy argument against people who think that
> >Logging is a "retro" method to debug and claim that logging is hindering
> >performance in Java... ( Probably preaching on this list is not very
> >useful but you'll be surprised how often you hear this kind of thin)
>
> Logging maybe retro but its survives the life span of the application.
> Application logging is analogous to fossils. Fossils are certainly retro
> but it is the only way to learn about life forms long gone.

I completely agree with you... Some people think that given a debugger and the description
of the problem, one should be able to reconstitute the whole process. Obviously this is true
only in theory but it is somehow trendy for some decision makers...
Still, there is nothing like a well written logfile to debug a program...