logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: ReadWriterLock usage
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2003 19:05:36 GMT
At 11:50 AM 6/24/2003 -0400, Berin Loritch wrote:
>Ceki Gülcü wrote:
>
>>At 09:16 AM 6/24/2003 -0400, Berin Loritch wrote:
>>
>>>Ceki Gülcü wrote:
>>>
>>>In my experience, and I have only been doing high volume server apps for
>>>about
>>>four years now, you can never rely on theory.  Always err on the side of
>>>caution.
>>
>>The core of log4j is quite small. So what applies for large pieces of
>>software, does not necessarily apply to the case in hand.
>
>Perhaps.
>
>>Erring on the side of caution is perfectly reasonable if you do not
>>want to spend the brain cycles to understand the problem in all its
>>details. However, if you have the luxury of thinking about the problem
>>long enough or if the problem is particularly simple, you can come up
>>with an approach that nicely fits the problem.
>
>:)  I guess you are calling me lazy ;P  (Like all programmers)

Even if most programmers wear a badge of laziness with pride, I really
did not mean to imply any deficiency on your part. I am sorry if it
came out that way.

>All I was saying is that experience has taught me that when I think I
>have it right and thought through things properly, I'm proven wrong with
>cold hard facts.
>
>I'll defer to your experience in this area, but if Log4J borks in one
>of my high throughput server apps can I say, "I told you so"?  I promise
>to have a patch along with it.... ;P

and I promise to eat my hat and to imitate a donkey. :-)

>>The category class is often read but seldom modified. Unfortunately it
>>cannot be cloned. So the ReaderWriterLock seems to nicely fit the bill.
>
>Hmmm.  <thinking-aloud>Do I want to explore the guts of Log4J or just
>remain an informed user....</thinking-aloud>
>
>Where did you get the code for the ReaderWriterLock?  I remember in the
>now defunct Excalibur Concurrent utilities we had trouble with ours.  We
>decided to go with the much better tested Doug Lea utilities which will
>be incorporated into JDK 1.5 along with generics and attributes (the other
>goodies I have been salivating for).

I wrote it and it has been tested throughly. It is similar to Doug
Lea's ReaderWriterLock. Actually, my code was inspired from Allen
Holub's Reader/writer locks article (See JavaWorld April 1999) which
was itself inspired by Doug Lea's code.

The ReaderWriterLock as it exists in log4j cvs is
considerably simpler than Doug Lea's code but it also offers much less
functionality.

For a more complete discussion please refer to

       ISBN: 2970036908  http://www.qos.ch/shop/products/clm_t.jsp