logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: new person type questions
Date Mon, 09 Jun 2003 23:21:18 GMT
At 06:43 PM 6/9/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm beginning to utilize log4j in a couple of projects at work and I'm
>looking at contributing to the project as well. I have a couple of quick
>questions.
>
>1) You have two graphic interfaces that are in the build. Chainsaw and
>lf5, chainsaw seems to be getting the most commits but lf5 seems already
>ahead in features? Is lf5 being phased out in log4j for chainsaw or the
>reverse?

Mark has already answered this question.

>2) I noticed on the "Plan" webpage that there is a note about
>re-implementing the DailyRollingFileAppender. That actually intersects a
>couple of areas that I have been working on recently and I wanted to know
>if there has been a design laid out for the new implementation.

You can check out the latest code from our CVS repository.

In the new design, the RollingAppender admits two components which
allows the user to control the timing of the rollover and another
components which controls the action taken when rollover occurs.

See the org.apache.log4j.rolling package for more details.

Rolling can be triggered based on time or size as was already the case
in log4j 1.2. However, the new implementations have several
advantages. For one, the rolled over files and the active logging file
can be named differently and can even be in different
directories. Moreover, the rolled over files can be compressed (zip or
gz) on the fly.

The code comes with test cases and seems to work correctly. I am sure
others will implement other triggering or rolling policies.

The new architecture allows for much more variation in the timing of
the rollover and the actions taken during rollover. It has been
suggested a long time ago by James P. Cakalic. A similar design can be
found in Avalon Logkit.

       ISBN: 2970036908  http://www.qos.ch/shop/products/clm_t.jsp