logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ReadWriterLock usage
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2003 12:28:38 GMT
Mark Womack wrote:
> I was looking at the usage of the ReadWriterLock class the Category code
> as an example for my similar modification to the PluginRegistry.
>
> Shouldn't all the releaseWriteLock() and releaseReadLock() calls be
> contained in finally blocks?  Unless we are absolutely sure that an
> exception cannot be thrown in that code, it seems like a good defensive
> coding style.  Otherwise the lock counts could get out of whack at some
> point.

Absolutely!

Anything that is a precious resource like database connections, locks,
threads, etc. must be cleaned up in a finally clause.  Otherwise you will
run into all sorts of problems.  You can prove that when you use a database
connection pool and exceptions prevent the releasing of the connection back
to the pool.  You will eventually run out.

That is a MUST.