logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Womack <mwom...@bevocal.com>
Subject RE: ConfiguraionServlet
Date Mon, 19 May 2003 17:26:51 GMT
It all depends on what you want to get out of it.

> re: licensing, the short answer is that I'm not sure.  This
> is what I'm
> thinking at the moment.
>
> 1) I'd like to retain control over the development at least
> until it is
> completed. I'm in the process of writing a functional spec
> that defines
> what I think the completed app should include.

Well, you could maintain a level of control in the log4j-sandbox, but
obviously other sandbox participants will be able to apply changes as well.
That is the nature of a collaborative open source project.  I think everyone
would like to discuss and execute against good game plan in regards to this
functionality.

There is always the decision to "accept" the code into the log4j-core
release, made by the log4j-core committers at the time.  But, if the
functionality fills a need and the code and participation is strong enough,
I can't imagine that it would not be accepted.  There has been strong
interest in working on this area configuration.

> 2) I'd like the app to be freely available and accessible to as many
> people as possible.

It doesn't get much more freely available and accessible than Apache open
source.  IMHO.

> 3) Not being entirely selfless I'd like to get credit for
> developing the
> app.

Of course.  All credit is attached for submitted classes, etc.  But, it is
part of the larger whole.

> So, by having the app closed source is keeping my options as open as
> possible. for the moment at least.
>
> what do you think?

You can always do your development closed and then release the source as
part of the release.  There are examples of other log4j components that do
something similar.  But they are not part of the log4j release (though they
are referenced from the log4j web pages).

Exploring it as part of the log4j project gives some more exposure to the
component and provides some community interaction, and hopefully a better
overall product/tool.

But, you should do what you are comfortable with.  As Ceki says, the one
doing the work is the one that gets to make the decisions.  I am looking
forward to seeing what you come up with.

thanks,
-Mark