logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Deboy" <Scott.De...@VirtualDesign.Net>
Subject RE: Cross-language logging possibilities with log4j
Date Thu, 08 May 2003 16:28:03 GMT
In the sandbox I've added support for file, tcp, udp and multicast
delivery of xml data via the log4j.dtd or java.util.logging's logger.dtd
(receivers and appenders) - which means you can either use the new
Chainsaw UI or connect the new receivers to a different appender using
TCP, SimpleSocketServer and the XML-based receivers.

SOAPAppender/SOAPReceiver is a great idea - and I was going to work on
that but it may be a while before I get to it..if you feel like it, go
for it!

Look in the sandbox at the Decoders in the xml package and in the net
package for the XML receivers.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mahurkar, Anup [mailto:amahurka@tigr.org]
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2003 6:54 AM
To: 'log4j-dev@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: Cross-language logging possibilities with log4j

Currently we are working on developing a workflow system written in java
that calls custom applications/classes to process each node of a DAG
(directed acyclic graph). These applications could be written in any
language, in our shop we use java and perl. It would be great if all the
individual applications could log to the same log destination.

My thought was to write a SOAP appender or some other such XML based
web-service appender on the client side and use the java socket server
appender to do the actual logging on the server side. This way java
clients can continue using object serialization/extrenalization, but
other language clients go through the slower web service layer.

I was wondering if anyone in this group had other ideas for adding such
cross-language logging capability to log4x family?

As we need such a capability for in-house use, if doable, we could
dedicate some resources to such an endeavor.

Thanks,
Anup Mahurkar