logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Douglas <mark_doug...@sunsystems.com>
Subject RE: Cross-language logging possibilities with log4j
Date Fri, 09 May 2003 12:50:06 GMT
Hi all,

Just my 2 cents worth:

>>Either that, or convert from a DOM model, to a streaming SAX model? Sort
>>of a stream that never ends, or ends arbitarily? (Pardon my lack of xml
>>understanding here...)
>
>This too is possible, but you would never be able to validate the
>document as it will never be complete.
>
>Yoav Shapira

I think this is actually a very good idea.  There is no need to validate the
XML
as it arrives at the receiving end.  Simply parse it with a SAX parser and
extract
the data for each logging event on the fly.  If you 'see' nodes that are not
understood, ignore them.  Validating the XML would only slow things down and
is
not really required when it is being generated by a matching piece of code
on the
client.

SAX parsers are actually very fast at what they do (when not validating) and
this
method *should* be very close to the performance of the
SocketAppender/Server classes
that exist already.  SAX writing is also very easy and quick and if the tag
names
are kept very short, does not actually add much to the traffic that is sent
by the Socket classes.

Mark Douglas

solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If
you have received this e-mail in error you must not copy, distribute or take
any action in reliance on it. Please notify the sender by e-mail or
telephone.
We utilise an anti-virus system and therefore any files sent via e-mail will
have been checked for known viruses. You are however advised to run your own
virus check before opening any attachments received as we will not in any
event accept any liability whatsoever once an e-mail and/or any attachment
is received. Any views expressed by an individual within this e-mail do not
necessarily reflect the views of Systems Union Group plc or any of its
subsidiary companies.