logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: License questions
Date Fri, 09 May 2003 17:36:16 GMT

At 07:25 PM 5/9/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi Ceki,
>
>Yes absolutely the FAQ answers my question. If I understand correctly all
>I need to do is acknowledge that I have used ASF code. Is that correct ?

Hmm, not exactly. You must also retain the existing copyright and license.

The license FAQ  is of course located at:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html

Q 11: I've made improvements to the Apache code, may I distribute the
       modified result?

   Absolutely -- subject to the terms of the Apache licence, of
   course. You can give your modified code away for free, or sell it, or
   keep it to yourself, or whatever you like. Just remember that the
   original code is still covered by the Apache licence and you must
   comply with its terms. Even if you change every single line of the
   Apache code you're using, the result is still based on the
   Foundation's licensed code. You may distribute the result under a
   different licence, but you need to acknowledge the use of the
   Foundation's software. To do otherwise would be stealing.

The original code is still covered by the Apache licence and you must
comply with its terms.  For redistributions with source you cannot
remove the existing copyright (that would violate the first term of
the license).

The license is really the only binding document. Just read it. If that
does not help, read it again. :-)