logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Ramadoss Chinnakuzhandai" <ramadoss.chinnakuzhan...@wipro.com>
Subject RE: AsyncAppender in log4j
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2003 03:22:11 GMT

Hi Ceki,
           Thank you for your suggestions...."YES, what you mentioned is what exactly I'm
looking for."
Kindly resend the attachment as I could not find anything on it.

If possible pls let me know where can I get the complete manual as you mentioned so that it
would be great helpful for me to understand.

Reg,
Ram

-----Original Message-----
From: Ceki Gülcü [mailto:ceki@qos.ch]
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 7:57 AM
To: Log4J Developers List
Subject: RE: AsyncAppender in log4j

Hi Ram,

You can attach multiple appenders of any type to an AsyncAppender. An AsyncAppender can be
attached to a logger like any other appender. Whenever a loggine event needs to be logged,
the event is handed to the AsyncAppender which buffers it and returns control to the caller.
A separate dispatcher thread inside the AsyncAppender will process the events in the buffer
by calling all the appenders attached to the AsyncAppender. The event is then removed from
the buffer.

This is also explained in the complete manual. I have included a couple of pages as an attachment.
I hope this helps,

At 03:34 PM 4/8/2003 +0530, you wrote:

>Hi Paul :)
>            well that's interesting too...
>
>YES the first point you mentioned is correct..yeah I want appender to
>have
>an 'optional' asynchronous 'behaviour'.
>
>What sort of control to the asynchronosity(??)---->> My requirement is
>so
>simple as follows
>
>Logging of type 1: logging ====> log4j ===> FileAppender(Which writes
>into
>local File).
>
>Logging of type 2: logging ====> log4j ===>JMSAppender ===> JMS Queue
>===>JMS Adaptor ===> Helper Class which writes log data onto a File or DB.
>
>The above are the requirements.
>
>The important thing is that on either case(step 1 and step 2)control
>should immediately return back to the process as soon as log4j dispatches
>to FileAppender or JMSAppender. This is the reason why I just wondering
>about AsyncAppender in which we can add any appenders to it and the moment
>control go to AsyncAppender would immediately return back as AsyncAppender
>is a different thread itself which actually process log request and
>dispatch to FileAppender or JMSAppender or whatever appender attached to
>it and that is the process I feel the real asynchronous.
>
>Let me know your comments reg the same.
>
>Cheers :)
>Ram

       https://www.qos.ch/shop/products/clm_t.jsp