logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject RE: WatchDog & Plugins
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2003 15:26:34 GMT
At 02:28 PM 4/22/2003 +1000, you wrote:
>My main question comes from the use of LoggerRepository's, and specifically,
>why there would be any need for more than the default LoggerRepository that
>is instantiated as part of the above process.  I agree allowing more than
>one is nice and neat, allowing Logger separation, but I can't think of a
>concrete scenario of where it might be needed or even useful. This could
>just be my limited scope of use of Log4J so far.

I don't know if you've read this.  If you haven't, you should....
http://www.qos.ch/logging/sc.html

If you are using a single Log4j jar in a common classloader rather than in
each webapp's WEB-INF/lib, then you absolutely need separate logger
repositories, otherwise each app's configuration will override
another's.  The custom repository selectors and the InitContextListener
classes that I wrote for the log4j-sandbox project provide a simple way to
use multiple repository selectors.

For links to the CVSWeb for the selectors and servlet initializer classes,
see...
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?Log4JProjectPages/UsefulCode

Jake