logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>
Subject Re: Avalon Facade moved to Log4j?
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2003 22:05:31 GMT
Hi,

On Thu, 1 May 2003 03:55, Ceki Gülcü wrote:
> Looking at Log4JAvalonLogger, it looks like an adapter that presents
> an Avalon logger interface but uses log4j underneath.

correct.

> Perhaps a stupid question but what is the advantage of having
> Log4JAvalonLogger in log4j rather than in Avalon?

The current release of Avalon actually has the adapters inside the framework
jar. For example they are in

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/avalon/src/java/org/apache/avalon/framework/logger/

The problem is that we have had problems in the past relating to mismatching
versions of Avalon/Framework Log4j and also classloader issues. Several times
in the past some of our users have wanted to use version X of Log4j but we
were using version Y etc. We essentially want to be able to load framework in
base classloader and allow each different application to use their own
version of logging toolkit if they so desire.

We have recently migrated the LogKit facade out into logkit (and will
deprecate the Avalon version once logkit is next released). I hope to do the
same with Log4j.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
Non-Reciprocal Laws of Expectations:
        Negative expectations yield negative results.
        Positive expectations yield negative results.