logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject RepositorySelector interface design question...
Date Mon, 10 Feb 2003 14:53:37 GMT

I am wondering what direction I should go to try to genericise the
configuration of custom repository selectors in the servlet/listener
code.  See this message for info on the current discussion...
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=log4j-dev&m=104335006426248&w=2

Specifically, I'm wondering if using a factory to configure custom
repository selectors would be a good idea.  It would make it so that the
existing InitServlet and InitContextListener classes wouldn't have to
directly refer to ContextClassLoaderSelector.  This is important because
people should be able to choose the repository selector they like best (as
long as one hasn't already been loaded by log4j).  The only way I can think
of allowing for this is adding doIdempotentInitialization() to the
RepositorySelector interface so that I can be assured that any class that
claims to be a RepositorySelector will contain this method.

Is that the right way to go or will this break compatibility with too many
existing classes implementing RepositorySelector?  What is another
direction I might take?  I'd like to nail this design decision down soon so
that I can continue work on making the initialization stuff more generic.

thanks,

Jake