logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject RE: Configuration GUI
Date Wed, 12 Feb 2003 20:13:14 GMT

At 11:55 12.02.2003 -0800, you wrote:
> > The commons-beanutils package is great. I use it all the time.
> > Unfortunately, it depends on the commons-logging API which makes it
> > unsuitable for use within log4j.
>
>Ceki,  I understand why this is true for the core log4j classes, but is this
>also true for stand alone tools like this proposed configuration gui tool?
>Since Chainsaw, LF5, and this tool will be packaged separately from the
>log4j core, can't they have dependencies on commons packages that use
>commons-logging?  If not, I really want to understand why.  As a project we
>should be able to take advantage of the commons work as appropriate.

I just wanted to raise the issue of commons-logging API dependence. This
would not be a showstopper for a GUI configurator although it would be one
for log4j-core. Now, the difference between log4j-core and not-core can be
fuzzy and vary with time. Assuming the GUI tool becomes widely used, it can
be considered as core as PatternLayout...

Anyway, at the end of the day, it is the player with the ball that gets to
decide.

--
Ceki