logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject RE: moving filters to log4j-sandbox
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 01:51:27 GMT
At 11:01 04.02.2003 -0800, you wrote:
>I moved them with the thinking that they were "unproven".  While filters and
>filter chains are well established in log4j, the base GenericMatchFilter
>design that was worked out might need to be "shaken" out a bit.  That was
>the only thinking.  We can move them back now or "graduate" them back into
>the core at a later time.

Makes sense.

>I would really like to see the sandbox stuff released prior to v1.3.  This
>will give the classes earlier exposure, and hopefully get some useful
>feedback.

Whatever is in the sandbox cannot/should not be released at all! The
point of the sandbox is to let developers unleash their talent without
being limited by the committers. I think for example that Jacob should
have write access to the log4j-sandbox so that he can continue working
on selectors and servlets. Eventually those components should be
merged with log4j-proper and Jacob granted full commit privileges.

I would oppose any attempt to make the log4j-sandbox a less reliable
version of log4j.

--
Ceki