logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: logging.apache.org
Date Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:00:20 GMT
Howdy,
I wanted to chime in with a few things.

0. I think logging.apache.org is a great idea.  I see xml.apache.org as
the template of sorts, and I think that site is great.

1. What about commons-logging?  Shouldn't it be included in
logging.apache.org?  Or is the *sole* goal of logging.apache.org to be a
cross-language logging kit repository?

2.

>Inter operability means that one can
>log in one language and have the logging event be output in an
>appender written in another language. It can also mean that one can
>persist logging events in one language and read (or visualize) those
>events with a tool written in another language.

Good goals.  Both would be useful for my organization.

In my view, inter-operability also includes the ability to use the same
configuration file.  Each language would have its own mechanisms to read
it as needed, but the exact same configuration file (same schema/DTD if
it's an XML file) should be usable in log4Perl, log4j, log4Net, etc.

>2) Is everyone comfortable with assigning copyright to the Apache
>Software foundation?

Considering I don't think a single bit of my code is in log4j yet, I'm
very comfortable assigning copyright to ASF ;)  Seriously, though, I
intend to contribute more to both log4j and logging.apache.org, and
would not mine assigning copyright to ASF.

3. I think prior to the launch of logging.apache.org, there should be a
(hopefully small and quick, but conclusive) discussions regarding
standards: that is, coding standards and conventions, CVS file
organization, project file (Maven? Gump?) organization and existence,
etc.  Some of these things may be harder to apply given a multi-language
environment, but they may still be worth a discussion.

4. Finally, let's start assembling a list (wiki page seems good here) of
what needs to be done in order to get this off the ground.  I'd love to
start helping with some concrete stuff.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics