logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Using log4j with applets
Date Mon, 27 Jan 2003 18:05:14 GMT
Hello Emlyn,

This is not a bug in Log4j. It is a bug in commons-logging.  Please as
their list about your problems.  You might also want to read this:

http://qos.ch/logging/thinkAgain.html

Jake

Monday, January 27, 2003, 11:29:18 AM, you wrote:

EPscu> Hi there,
EPscu> I am currently developing a java applet that uses existing code that itself
EPscu> uses log4j.

EPscu> When running the applet as an application I have no problems, however when
EPscu> I try to run the applet from an HTML page any call to LogFactory.getLog()
EPscu> fails with the exception:

EPscu> org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: java.lang.NullPointerException

EPscu> I have checked that the class name being passed into the function is valid.
EPscu> Is the problem related to the fact that the applet will not have access to a log4j.properties
file and if so is there any way round this?
EPscu> Is there any way of disabling logging so that the problem will not occur?

EPscu> There shouldn't be any security issues relating to logging as the applet and all
the code it uses is signed.

EPscu> Any help with this issue would be gratefully received.
EPscu> Regards,
EPscu> Emlyn J Purvis

EPscu> --
EPscu> To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <mailto:log4j-dev-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>