logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Womack <mwom...@bevocal.com>
Subject RE: RE: Log4jControlServlet
Date Wed, 18 Dec 2002 21:05:20 GMT
> I think that your guess about how this servlet
> will behave in a cluster is accurate. JMX is probably a more
> direct way to control logging levels throughout a cluster,
> although I don't know if anyone has implemented that
> functionality yet.

I was thinking about this.  With the new plugin architecture, you could
write a plugin that listens to a Socket or JMS topic conduit, and across the
conduit you could send "set level of logger" commands.  It would be a way of
setting the configuration on a large number of machines without requiring a
config file.  The new (yet to be incorporated) HttpWatchdog could be used to
do the same using a config file on a central web server.

The plugins stuff is going to REALLY open things up.  I think we are going
to see some very creative uses.

-Mark