logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject RE: Hostname support in PatternLayout (patch included)
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2002 23:01:44 GMT
At 17:52 12.12.2002 -0500, you wrote:

>Thanks for the clarification.
>
>Originally, I had the Layout retrieve the hostname, but since logging
>events can change machines and I want to record where they came from, I
>have to modify LoggingEvent. I have to record the hostname somewhere before
>it gets sent over a SocketAppender, and that must be in the LoggingEvent.
>
>And then, I'm very wary of extending LoggingEvent cuz it's called
>everywhere. I'll break everything. Thus, the only way to do this is to
>either get the patch applied or use the MDC. I can use the MDC. Properties
>would work too, but stickiness is obviously better.

Is stickiness really better? The hostname could be looked up once and
subsequently remembered by the SocketAppender. Before sending a logging
event on the wire, the SocketAppender could set the hostname (which it
keeps in its memory). The cost is a method call plus a hash lookup followed
by a variable assignment, in other words "nada" compared to serialization.

--
Ceki