logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From <mwom...@apache.org>
Subject [VOTE] Proposal: Log4Init servlet class
Date Mon, 07 Oct 2002 04:52:50 GMT
In the quest of finding more things to do that one has time for, I propose
that we explore the inclusion of a Log4jInit servlet class in the official
log4j library.  This would be a servlet class that can be used to initialize
log4j in a web application.  Everyone seems to have their own version of one
that all do the same basic stuff.

I am making this proposal because if this class is used so often, then I
think a basic version should be available in the official log4j library for
general use or for specific extension by developers.  It will make log4j
"easier" to use because it will have a useful off-the-shelf class
specifically designed for web applications.

However, I would like this component to be "owned" by someone else that will
put the energy into it.  If this person is not a committer, then I volunteer
to "champion" and review the code, and make sure it gets committed into cvs
after review.  But my v1.3 plate is full with plugins, receivers, watchdogs,
and filters.

A number of folks have stated an interest in contributing to log4j.  Here's
your chance to create something that almost every log4j web application
based developer will use.  If no one steps up, then it will just wait until
one of us has the time.

I think there are a number of options for this class that can be explored,
such as possibly using a distinct logger repository per web
application/servlet/etc.  There may be other related components that could
be considered.

But first, what do the other committers think?

+1

-Mark