logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From <mwom...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [SUBMIT] Timezone support for date elements of pattern layout
Date Tue, 30 Jul 2002 06:35:36 GMT
Wow.  Ceki, I am surprised you have not commented on this yet.  Maybe I
missed it being so busy at work lately.  But if Mike implements to the
supplied javadoc, it looks like it would implement most of the PatternLayout
proposal (http://qos.ch/specs/PatternLayout.html) except for maybe
dynamically specifiying new conversion words.  I would choose to have
lowercase conversion words instead of mixed case.  I would also choose the
single % with {} for grouping specifiers as in Ceki's proposal (instead of
matching % characters), but the core appears to be there.

But frankly, I think that doing this is not required to accept Mike's first
round of changes he has submitted.  I don't see where "%d{@lit@d}." is any
less readable than the current conversion specifiers.  It is just as
cryptic, yes.  Yes, I think conversion words are the way to go.  But unless
there are other concrete objections/corrections to Mike's original
submission (locale, timezone, separator specifiers), I think we should
accept those changes.  THEN we can look at changing
PatternLayout/PatternParser to accept conversion words, etc.  Otherwise the
already large changes become even larger and harder to track.  And it looks
like Mike is obviously willing to take a crack at conversion words.

I just don't think we should leave this submission hanging on the vine.
It's already taken time to just find the time to review the changes.  If
there is something else that needs to be addressed, let's talk about it.
Otherwise, lets accept a very useful submission from an enthusiastic
contributor (and sign him up for something else ;-) ).

-Mark