logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Meyer, Fred H (Fred)" <fhme...@avaya.com>
Subject outlook for JDBCAppender
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2002 13:36:28 GMT
I have a question about where the development is going with regards to the JDBCAppender? I
am basing my project's logging infrastructure around Log4J and the use of the JDBCAppender
and MDC.

I have read the discussion from this list's archives, but there has been nothing lately.
I was a little concerned about trying to hide all of the sql from the user. I guess I feel
this way because of the way I planed to use Log4J.

I have been promoting high level logging categories that organize the log output for user
(sys admin, tier 1 support) consumption. For example, we would like to query the "user activity"
category and report a particular user's session transcript. This category would be in a DB
and have the UserID and SessionID as fields that could be used to define the query. This is
where the MDC came in handy!

Now if the sql was hidden from me I could not have the JDBCAppender store logs to a table
that had UserID and SessionID fields.

Am I missing the picture here? I know this is a very short description of what I am doing
with Log4J, but I would appreciate any feedback and information about the future of the JDBCAppender.

Thanks,

Fred H. Meyer
fhmeyer@avaya.com