logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Womack <mwom...@bevocal.com>
Subject RE: Watchdog/Reconfigurator Nickel Tour
Date Fri, 31 May 2002 16:30:07 GMT
Heikki,

Thanks for the comments.

> What's wrong with the initial name, Watchdog? I think
> Watchdog very well
> describes what the classes are doing; they are watching some
> resource,
> waking up the configurator on changes. I think watchdog is the
> traditional name for classes like this.
>
> IMHO, scout would better describe a class that tries to
> locate something,
> looks
> for something.

Well, Watchdog or Scout by themselves are not descriptive enough.  It would
have to be ConfigWatchdog or ConfigScout or something less generic.  I think
you have a valid point.  Plus, Watchdog has some history in the log4j
codebase.

> Another thing. I'm not sure if had already been brought up,
> but it would
> be nice if it was possible to attach a Configurator to the Watchdog in
> the properties-file. The Watchdog would have setConfigurator-method
> instead of the abstract reconfigure()-method.

There are methods setConfigurator()/getConfigurator() in the Watchdog
interface that allow you to set the configurator class (by fqcn) used by the
Watchdog.  Do you mean/need something else?

thanks,
-Mark