logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject RE: Watchdog/Reconfigurator Nickel Tour
Date Fri, 31 May 2002 11:35:50 GMT

This is from the American Heritage Dictionary.

scout (skout) verb
scouted, scouting, scouts verb, transitive

1. To spy on or explore carefully in order to obtain information,
reconnoiter.

2. To observe and evaluate (a talented person) for possible hiring.

verb, intransitive

1. To search: scout around for some gossip.

2. To search for talented people: She scouts for a professional
basketball team.

noun

1. a. One that is dispatched from a main body to gather information,
especially in preparation for military action. b. The act of
reconnoitering.

2. A watcher or sentinel.

3. One who is employed to discover and recruit talented persons,
especially in the fields of sports and entertainment.

4. Sports. One who is employed to observe and report on the strategies
and players of rival teams.

5. Often Scout a. A member of the Boy Scouts. b. A member of the Girl
Scouts.

6. Informal. An individual, a person: a good scout.

7. Chiefly British. A student's male servant at Oxford University.

At 08:57 31.05.2002 +0300, you wrote:
> > > How about "Scout" or "ScriptScout"? A ScriptScout scouts for changes
> > > in configuration scripts. Scout is both a noun and a verb, so method
> > > names like startScouting or stopScouting make sense.
> > >
> > > I propose ScriptScout as the interface name and
> > ScriptScoutBase as the
> > > base class implemented by FileScout, HTTPScout, SocketScout
> > > subclasses.
> >
> > Hmm.  Well it does make sense.  How about ConfigScout, etc?
> > I don't know if
> > I want to use the word "script"...
>
>What's wrong with the initial name, Watchdog? I think Watchdog very well
>describes what the classes are doing; they are watching some resource,
>waking up the configurator on changes. I think watchdog is the
>traditional name for classes like this.

Watchdog is fine except that it does not sound very nice. Yes, maybe
we should just keep Watchdog.

>IMHO, scout would better describe a class that tries to locate something,
>looks
>for something.

I think the accent is on spying and exploring. This is from
the American Heritage Dictionary.

scout (skout) verb
scouted, scouting, scouts verb, transitive

1. To spy on or explore carefully in order to obtain information,
reconnoiter.

2. To observe and evaluate (a talented person) for possible hiring.

verb, intransitive

1. To search: scout around for some gossip.

2. To search for talented people: She scouts for a professional
basketball team.

noun

1. a. One that is dispatched from a main body to gather information,
especially in preparation for military action. b. The act of
reconnoitering.

2. A watcher or sentinel.

3. One who is employed to discover and recruit talented persons,
especially in the fields of sports and entertainment.

4. Sports. One who is employed to observe and report on the strategies
and players of rival teams.

5. Often Scout a. A member of the Boy Scouts. b. A member of the Girl
Scouts.

6. Informal. An individual, a person: a good scout.

7. Chiefly British. A student's male servant at Oxford University.

>Another thing. I'm not sure if had already been brought up, but it would
>be nice if it was possible to attach a Configurator to the Watchdog in
>the properties-file. The Watchdog would have setConfigurator-method
>instead of the abstract reconfigure()-method.

Mark is well aware of the need to activate watchdogs from within config files.

--
Ceki

SUICIDE BOMBING - A CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY
Sign the petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/1234567b
I am signatory number 22106. What is your number?