logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From l..@statestreet.com
Subject fail over
Date Tue, 16 Apr 2002 13:59:13 GMT
Hi, there,

I an new to Log4j.  I need help to find out the best way to handle fail
over in log4j.

We are working on a critical application within which we use file for
logging and database for audit. We can not afford to stop the application
if there are errors with file system or database, nor can we afford to lose
those logging/audit information. We plan to use a database to back up files
if there is a problem with file system, and using files to back up database
if something wrong with the database, but we don't want duplicate info on
both file and database.

I understand there are two ways to do this:
(1) To specify a secondary appender in the errorHandler attached to  the
primary appender.  e.g. if primary appender is a file, then the secondary
appender is a database, or vice versa.
(2)Dynamically remove the appender if error is detected with that appender,
and add a new appender to the logger.

Which way is better, and are there any other ways to do this?

Thanks for the info.

--Ling