logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Womack <mwom...@bevocal.com>
Subject RE: Serialization performance
Date Tue, 26 Mar 2002 18:50:46 GMT
Burton,

Thanks for the explanation.  I was reading through the javadoc for
Serializable and Externalizable, and while it never came right out and said
it, I got the basic undertone of your explanation.

Since log4j can own both sides of the pipe, anything that can speed the
transfer sounds like a win.

My question is, are the changes to use Externalizable compatible with older
log4j versions?  If I had a log4j version using the new code sending logging
events to an older version of log4j, would they be able to talk?  If not,
could the new code be written so it would work with older versions?  I'm
guessing not, but maybe?

Still, requiring the same version of log4j on both sides might be an
acceptable requirement.

-Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Leathers, Burton [mailto:Burton.Leathers@Cognos.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 10:23 AM
To: 'Log4J Developers List'
Subject: RE: Serialization performance

Mark, et al.

The spec for both serialization and externalization can be downloaded from
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/guide/serialization/index.html

The nub of it is that serialization is built in and carries a great deal of
meta data whereas externalization is "roll your own" which means that much
content can be omitted provided(!!) the sender and receiver have a prior
agreement on the content of the structured object.

Serialization is designed to handle inheritance and evolution with as much
grace as possible. Externalization makes no such commitments -- but one can
build them in to whatever degree is appropriate.

A properly implemented externalization technique can be designed to go like
stink because so much less is encoded and transmitted but it falls upon the
developer of the externalization methods to make it deal with changes in
class structures.

Burton