logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject RE: [CODE] Resetting Loggers during Configuration
Date Thu, 21 Mar 2002 00:08:48 GMT
At 11:34 20.03.2002 -0800, you wrote:
>Ceki,
>
>I see in the code comments for shutdown() that it closes the appenders so
>that pending log message will not be lost, which is good.  But what about
>the time between the return from the resetConfiguration() method and the
>time the logger would reconfigured in the configurator?  Couldn't logging
>messages be lost in this in between time?  I must be missing something.

Good point. Messages could be lost "in between time" as you say. We could
add support for "atomic" reset&reconfigure especially since configuration is
atomic. Having said that implementing this can get pretty hairy. Now that I
understand
your concerns a bit better, I'll look at your code with more care after 1.2
gets out.

>And yes, whatever implementation is decided as best, I will add the behavior
>in the way you have mentioned.  I'll submit something after 1.2 is released.
>Is there a time table for the 1.2 release?

I have spent much of my time writing the log4j manual which will be available
for a fee. It's already 80 pages long by the way. As for  log4j 1.2, I just
want
to add a few more test cases, check (and fix if need be) reported bugs,
improve the documentation and go to RC (release candidate). I'll start on this
probably tomorrow or Friday. Cheers, Ceki

>thanks,
>-Mark

Ceki