logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject The future
Date Fri, 08 Mar 2002 11:13:28 GMT

Hi all,

Judging from download and web-site statistics, even if having only 28
days, February 2002 has been log4j's best month ever. With 8'627
downloads from *distinct* IP addresses (19'771 downloads otherwise),
the average number of daily downloads has grown by 30% compared with
January.

With log4j 1.2 soon to be released, is time to think about log4j
1.3. About 9 months have elapsed since the release of log4j 1.1.x. I
am not excessively happy about what has been accomplished during those
9 months.  Although the Logger/Level name change was quite a technical
feat, it does not bring anything new in terms of functionality while
increasing confusion, consequently decreasing usability.

The planned features for 1.3 will bring significant improvements in
log4j's extensibility, with a much more powerful configuration
language in XML allowing more powerful and extensible Appenders and
Layouts.

Another important feature is the addition of a graphical tool to
visualize logs. My hope is to integrate either Lumbermill or Chainsaw
(possibly a little of both) into the log4j distribution. I will do my
best to work with the involved parties in order to find a fair way to
get there.

There will be many other new features included in 1.3, mostly
contributions from this group. They are too numerous to list here.

--
Ceki