logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: Pre-alpha release of DominoAppender and DominoConfigurator
Date Sun, 17 Feb 2002 19:50:43 GMT
At 12:42 17.02.2002 +0100, Johan Känngård wrote:
>Thanks for your answers, Ceki. Here are my follow-up questions - I hope you
>can answer them too.
>

> >>* Is the above mentioned "Domino Log4j Package" ok with the Apache
>license?
> >>* Is it ok to use log4j as part of the name? The license says no, if I
>don´t
> >>have permission.
>
> >No, you cannot use log4j as part of the name, just as the license
> >says.  We are serious about enforcing this rule.
>
>I will rename the package.
>

> >>* Can the log4j jar be packaged with this "Domino package"?
>
> >You can package log4j.jar as long as you respect the terms of
> >the license.
>
>Thank you.
>

> >>* Do I have to release this "package" under the Apache license, or is it
> >>possible to use the GNU General Public License?
>
> >I am afraid that the Apache Software Foundation can only accept
> >contributions under the Apache Software License.
>
>Is it ok to release source / binary code under the Apache Software License,
>even if I am not a member of the Apache "team"?

This is a good question. I would think that it is OK to release code under the
Apache Software License even outside the foundation. I am not 100% sure though.

An interesting corollary to this question is whether you can fork log4j
while keeping
the Apache license.

Your questions are of general interest. You might want to post
them on general@jakarta.apache.org and see the answers you get.

> >>* Is the namespace that I have used (net.kanngard.util.logging etc...) ok,
> >>or is it better with org.apache.log4j etc?
>
> >It depends on what you want to do.
>
>I want to release the DominoAppender and DominoConfigurator (and more...) to
>the open source community. As part of the "contribution" part in log4j, if
>you want. The "package" i´m talking about, is just a simple way for Domino
>developers to implement log4j and my additions.

Code in the log4j/contribs/ section is not part of the "official"
distribution. This means that
the code is there but comes with no guarantees. I will gladly add your
contribution under
the contrib directory (assuming you change the license to Apache). It you
feel that does not do
justice to your contribution, you can start a project on sourceforge and
when you feel that the
code is ready you may chose to submit the code so that we can include it in
the "official"
log4j distribution.

It all boils down to whether you want to continue enhancing the
DominoAppender or not.
Regards, Ceki