logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: [POLL] Commercial documentation
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2002 04:02:40 GMT

I for one would happily buy a book on Log4J. Technical books are one of
the few efficent ways in which I can save my eyes and wrists from over-use
at the computer. There are a lack of good quality books on open-source
software and Log4J is a subject that every Java developer needs to be
using or considering.

As to the question as to whether writing a book based on open-source
documentation for profit is seen as a dishonourable thing, I would say
that it is instead a positive acclaimation of open-source. I can take an
open-source codebase and release a commercial application based upon it,
so it would seem to make sense that I should be able to take an
open-source manual and make a book from it. I know it's not that simple,
but it feels as though it should be.

A possible answer is to talk to OReilly about their Open Book initiative.
Addison Wesley, Manning, John Wiley and No Starch press would all seem
other quality publishers to release from.

John Wiley have a book on ant, junit and cactus out recently, so you might
want to talk to the authors, Richard Hightower and Nicholas Lesiecki
[Cactus submitter according to the cover], to get their viewpoint.

As to the question of whether you should be focusing on manual
improvements or on a book, consider the view that one of your roles is to
make Log4J more well known and respected and that a book will enable you
to reach a different audience than the manual is currently reaching.

I think the most important thing however is, what is scratching your
current itch? Wanna write a book, then write it.

Bay