logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Mats Henricson <m...@talaris.com>
Subject Re: DailyRollingFileAppender, running under more than one JVM, and writing to a common log file
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2001 17:10:03 GMT
We're using log4j in a WebLogic environment.
We want to do the same thing as you do, send
logs from many machines to one single log.

I ended up doing it with a SocketAppender. It
works just fine, except that we're seing that
it may buckle under heavy load. I can't confirm
if that is because we're just logging too much,
or if it is because the synchronized block is
too large in AppenderSkeleton.doAppend().

Mats

> Hi,
>
> Is it permissible to use the DailyRollingFileAppender to write to a common
> log file from more than one JVM.  Specifically, I want to write to a common
> log file from different servlet engines (using different JVMs) in IBM
> Websphere.  Will the two (or more) instances of DailyRollingFileAppenders
> step on each other when it comes time to roll the log file?  I did not see
> anything in the code to prevent this.
>
> Thanks
> Rick

Mats Henricson

Talaris Corporation
260 Santa Ana Ct.
Sunnyvale, CA 94086

(408) 730-3337 phone
(650) 704-7081 cell

mailto:mats@talaris.com
http://www.talaris.com/

Red Herring “Top 10 Companies to Watch” 2001