logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Robin Beetge@iCommerce" <robin.bee...@za.didata.com>
Subject DailyRollingFileAppender problems
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2001 13:52:53 GMT
Hi

I am having the following problem with the DailyRollingFileAppender and was
wondering if this was a bug or whether the behaviour is as it should be.
When using the DailyRollingFileAppender set so that it rolls over every
minute it will only work if I have a program that runs for more than a
minute a writes messages in each of the two minutes that the program spans.
But if I have a quick program that writes a single log message and run it at
say 13H00 and again at 13H05 then both messages are in the same file i.e. no
roll over occurs.

I went through the source code and swithced the debugging for log4j on and
confirmed that the code should be operating as above, hence my question
whether this is by design.
I would have expected DailyRollingFileAppender to work as with
RollingFileAppender that will check the file if it is written to from to
seperate programs at different times. i.e. check the timestamp on the file
before writing to it if before the next roll over time write else roll over
and then write

I can see that my way would incur a greater time wastage as you'd have to
check the file each time you start up.

hope I make sense.
thanks for the help

Robin Beetge