logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: Comments on JSR47
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:21:56 GMT
At 14:16 12.06.2001 +0200, Endre Stølsvik wrote:
>On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Ceki Gülcü wrote:
>

>| Hello David,
>|
>| The argument that JSR47 is a standard carries some weight but at the
>| end of the day, developers will go with what offers them the most
>| functionality with the least pain. Judging from log4j's increasing
>| popularity, the jury is still out on this one. Regards, Ceki
>
>I don't believe you're right, Ceki.
>
>Going with "the Java" implementation is always comforting. You feel like
>this is the standard, this is the stuff almighty Sun made (the rest of
>their stuff is really good, right??) Also, remember that it's going to be
>_way_ more widespread than any other logging package, e.g. think about the
>"logging" i (maybe farfetched, yes..!) applets. Would you download 89 Megs
>of logging code, or use the shitty stuff they actually _do_ provide?
>  I think that there won't be many _new_ users of log4j or any other
>logging package, even if it's better, after the java..logging stuff is
>out.

Endre,

I share your concerns and am well aware of the points you raise.

As for your applet, it will only run only on JDK 1.4 if you decide to use the JSR47 API. Furthermore,
log4j will be shipped with a smaller log4j-core.jar in the future.

>So I think that if java..logging is _bad_ (which apparently it is! ;),
>then you folks should seriously try to convince the Sun guys of this.
>Write a _detailed_ "memo" about each and every aspect of the package to
>the Sun folks, and really try to convince them. (Please?! ;)

In the past, I have tried to convince Graham Hamilton (the JSR47 lead). Why do you think JSR47
has a named hierarchy? :-) Do you think I got any credit for it? :-(

Regards, Ceki