logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Anders Kristensen <akristen...@dynamicsoft.com>
Subject Re: Plan for release 1.2
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2001 16:09:38 GMT
IMHO, jUnit is probably not a very good match for the log4j test suite.
I suspect it would be more work to write and maintain these tests under
jUnit than bash/perl.

Cheers,
Anders

Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> At 10:05 18.06.2001 -0500, Jim Moore wrote:
> >"Contributors are expected to be familiar with the log4j test environment.
> >They are also required to add a new test case with each new feature or
> >component."
> >
> >What is the test environment?  In the org.apache.log4j.test package, there
> >are "ad-hoc" tests (like PatternTest) and JUnit tests (like
> >UnitTestCategory).  Do we add unit tests to the "unitTest" script?  Wouldn't
> >it make more sense to add them to a TestSuite to use JUnit's built-in
> >support?  Also, shouldn't the ant declaration have a "test.all" task so it's
> >not platform dependant (ie, "#!/bin/sh") and more easily done as part of the
> >regular build process?  Am I missing something fundimental, or do we simply
> >need a more defined "test environment"?
> >
> >-Jim Moore
>
> Hi Jim,
>
> The test environment is the code and scripts that are under org.apache.log4j.test
> and org.apache.log4j.xml.test. These contain shell scripts as well as JUnit unit tests
plus a few perl scripts.

> I started writing the bash scripts long before JUnit was fashionable.  The log4j test
suite has been verified to run on both Windows NT/2000 and Linux. The log4j test scripts require
the bash shell and perl. On most Unix systems these are included by default. On Windows systems
you need to install the Cygwin tools from

>    http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin
>
> The JUnit-based tests are useful for testing small components whereas the bash scripts
do regression tests at a higher level, i.e. they compare the output of the tested code against
witness output. In some cases, the test code took more time to write than the code being tested.
I would not any shed tears if we could get rid of the bash/perl scripts. However, I am not
sure JUnit is suitable for regression testing. Is it? Your comments and suggestions are welcome.
Ceki