logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: How about log4j.layout in configure file?
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2001 23:16:46 GMT

Jin,

At 16:51 21.03.2001 -0600, Jin Zhao wrote:
> I just tried the variable substitution solution. It only works on
>"option values".
>I can't use a variable for a class name, ie the configurator will
>complain of not being able to instantiate that class.

Why not? Class name is just an option value like any other!

>I set variables on top of the configuration file and didn't try the
>log4j.properties way.

That's unrelated.

>Anyway, It solved part of the problem.

Good.

>Thanks to all,
>
>Jin
>
>>Anders.
>>
>>Jin's request can be answered satisfactorily by variable
>substitution as another user suggested earlier.
>>
>>A very important point to keep in mind is that layout instances are
>not intended to be used by multiple appenders, but a given appender
>>can be attached to multiple categories.  (Synchronization is done
>at the appender.doAppend level.) Layout code relied on the fact that
>its
>>environment is thread safe so that it doesn't need to worry about
>thread-safety itself.
>>

>>References to layouts is a bad idea even if it can be supported
>with new configurator syntax. Regards, Ceki

I hope to see you at my ApacheCon 2001 presentation
entitled "Log4j, A Logging Package for Java".

See http://ApacheCon.Com/2001/US/ for more details.

----
Ceki Gülcü          Web:   http://qos.ch
av. de Rumine 5     email: cgu@qos.ch (preferred)
CH-1005 Lausanne           ceki_gulcu@yahoo.com
Switzerland         Tel: ++41 21 351 23 15