logging-log4j-dev mailing list archives

From "Pier P. Fumagalli" <p...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: background thread category?
Date Thu, 28 Dec 2000 08:31:13 GMT
Tcmits1@cs.com <Tcmits1@cs.com> wrote:

> I was thinking how some of the performance hit could be removed if log
> requests were put on a queue and then pumped out using a background thread or
> daemon.  Some other loggers out there, such as protomatter, do this.   Of
> course, there are many problems with this approach and thus JMS or Event
> services would be better.

We used it in Jserv, but at that time we found out that we were creating
more log entries than the ones we were able to despool, and from that,
OutOfMemoryException.... :) Not that easy, the Thread priority should adapt
depending on the quantity of the log entries to despool, and on how much
free memory we have...

    Pier

--
Pier Fumagalli  <http://www.betaversion.org/>  <mailto:pier@betaversion.org>